Our Bipolar Life support groups are effective ways to offer assistance to people dealing with a variety of bipolar disorder concerns. Bipolar support groups provide a confidential environment free of scrutiny and judgement. We believe everyone has information and knowledge to share, which can be a coping skill, a success story, or a new type of treatment.
Support groups, sometimes referred to as self-help groups, are groups of people who gather to share common problems and experiences associated with a particular problem, condition, illness, or personal circumstance. In a support group, people are able to talk with other people who are like themselves – people who truly understand what they’re going through and can share the type of practical insights that can only come from firsthand experience. You will rarely see the group surprised or shocked by another members story.
Some of the characteristics of our support groups are:
- They are made up of peers – people who are all directly affected by bipolar.
- A Bipolar Life facilitator(or facilitators) conducts the meeting and will only intervene if necessary.
- Meetings tend to be fairly small in size and this better allows members a chance to talk.
- Members offer support to each other and quickly pick up on the fact that they have previously encountered an issue themselves that another member is talking about and can therefore relate their own experience in those circumstances.
- There are always helpful opinions being offered.
- Members often form friendships and meet outside our environment.
- Bipolar Life has two Facebook pages (one is secret) that allow members to communicate with each other between meetings.
- Attendance is voluntary.
“I felt very alone. I now have friends who understand. It makes life better.”
“Thanks for hosting these. I always feel better after a group.”
“I rely on these groups to get by. It’s too easy to keep to yourself and not let anyone in.”
Bipolar Life Support Groups
Bipolar Life has support group meetings at 13 different locations across Victoria. Over 50 meeting are held each month. Click on the meetings below that for more information regarding times, dates, locations etc.
Come along and give it a try. You’ll be made more than welcome!
IMPORTANT: Support groups are currently suspended for at least a month because of the current Coronavirus situation.
Please check back regularly for updates.
Get in touch: [email protected] or 0481 007 166